About the project
The overall objective of the Grassification project is to apply a multi-dimensional approach to the valorisation of roadside grass clippings in order to optimize it into a viable value-chain for the biobased and circular economy. The project aims to optimize logistics and technical aspects of the grass clippings supply chain and processing, demonstrate its market potential as well as formulate policy and legal recommendations to create a more supportive framework for the recycling of this renewable resource.
These actions will increase the volume of usable material, lower costs, and generate a higher added-value for this so called ‘waste’ streams, which eventually will result in a higher market value of the industry. In this way, the use of roadside grass clippings as a renewable resource for the production of biobased products and hence the circular economy will become more attractive.
For achieving these goals, the Grassification project will have, as main outputs:
- A novel mowing head aiming at improving the quality and reducing the sand content of the grass clippings
- Technology tested for decentralized biogas production from the co-digestion of grass clippings with other feedstocks
- Technology tested for bulk processing of grass into biogas
- Products made out of grass fibers, such as a picnic set, stepping stones and insulation panels
- Report on possible applications of the liquid fraction of grass
- Model developed for joint procurement and performance contracting
- Techno-economic assessment of the most promising value-chains
- Supply chain optimization model
- Policy roadmap
The stakeholders benefitting from these outputs are: road and land managers, SMEs and large entreprises, research institutes and centers, policy makers, and other stakeholders like e.g. the building sector for applications of bio-composite load bearing structures.
We are pleased to invite you to be part of the Grassification platform, which will function as a knowledge database for all Grassification stakeholders.
This platform will offer you the opportunity to get the first access to project’s deliverables and results as well as to receive first-hand invitations to our events.
Your participation is voluntary and free of charge. Your data will be treated according to the EU General Data Protection Regulation and for the project’s purposes only.