SEA2LAND – Producing advanced bio-based fertilizers from fisheries wastes
It will promote the production of large-scale fertilizers in the EU from own raw materials, based on the circular economy model, transforming by-products into nutrients for crops. SEA2LAND will contribute to the independence and security in the supply of nutrients to European agriculture, reducing the nutrient imbalance in Europe. The basis of the project is the regional production of BBFs developing demonstration pilots that can be replicated throughout Europe, boosting local growth.
The project proposes the implementation of 9 technologies in 7 cases in 6 areas representative of the fisheries sector (North, Baltic, Atlantic, Cantabric, Mediterranean, Adriatic Sea). The proposed technologies range from well-known processes (bokashi, composting, etc.) that can be a solution in some areas due to its low cost and simplicity to others more sophisticated that go from thermo-mechanical fractionation to enzymatic hydrolysis. The technologies will be applied to different by-products (typical in each implementation area), and they will produce several BBFs either for local crops and conditions, and others for exporting (with high value and effectiveness to assure a low impact).
BBFs will be characterized to ensure compliance with EU regulations, including those related to organic farming.
Besides, the effects on soil biodiversity, environmental sustainability and the impact on social parameters and local economy will be studied and business plans will be defined. Finally BBFs from by-products will serve to partially replace imported nutrients for agriculture in Europe, contributing to reduce the negative environmental effects of the misuse of by-products.
- Instituto Vasco de Investigacion y Desarrollo Agrario - NEIKER, Spain
- Barna SA, Spain
- Caviar Pirinea SL, Spain
- Nutriloop OU, Estonia
- Fundacion AZTI - AZTI Fundazioa, Spain
- Centre Regional d'Innovation et de Transfert de Technologie Agroressources, France
- Universita' Politecnica delle Marche, Italy
- Aquabiotech Limited, Malta
- Fundacio Universitaria Balmes, Spain
- Fertinagro Biotech SL, Spain
- Gronn Gjodselas, Norway
- Norsk Institutt for Biookonomi - NIBIO, Norway
- Instituto de Soldadura e Qualidade, Portugal
- Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France
- Universiteit Gent, Belgium
- Eesti Taimekasvatuse Instituut, Estonia
- Universita' degli Studi di Milano, Italy
- Chambre d'Agriculture des Pyrenees Atlantiques, France
- Forschungsinstitut fur Biologischen Landbau Stiftung, Switzerland
- Universite' de Liege, Belgium
- Norsk Landbruksradgiving Nord Norge, Norway
- Iniciativas Innovadoras SAL, Spain
- Instituto de Investigaciones Agropecuarias, Chile
- Forschungsinstitutfur Biologischen Landbau in Europa, Belgium
- IPS Konzalting doo za Poslovne Usluge, Croatia
- Societa' Cooperatiiva Pescatori Molluschicoltori CO.PE.MO, Italy