The dry anaerobic digestion technology is currently being tested under thermophilic and mesophilic conditions and it will be analysed in the project as an alternative management for the sewage sludge produced in those WWTPs.
LIFE-ANADRY will demonstrate the above mentioned process, which offers a vast improvement in effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and sustainability, over other methods for sludge treatment while achieving the following objectives:
- Reduction of the environmental impact through decreasing the CO2 emissions.
- Demonstration of the technical economic viability of the technology.
- Increase of sludge stabilization in terms of volatile solids destruction.
- Improvement of the digestate quality by means of pathogen removal.
- Substitution of inorganic fertilisers’ in agriculture with the recycled sludge.